Gone Home is an immersive experience

0
458

Gone-Home

In terms of video games, Gone Home may be one of the best told stories of the year. Exceptional writing and a reliance on players wanting to explore helps to uncover a story about childhood and love. While other games thrust the narrative upon the player, Gone Home distances itself from those titles, allowing the player to discover as much (or as little) of the story as he or she wants.

The premise for Gone Home is extremely basic: set in 1995, Katie has just come home from travelling Europe and arrives to find that no one is there to greet her. It is completely up to the player to discover all the nuances of the plot, or to just follow the main story involving Katie’s sister, Sam. The empty house setting aids Gone Home in presenting itself as a creepy game, and it left me in a constant state of unease as the house creaks or lights flicker to craft a unique and chilling atmosphere.

The amount of time spent playing Gone Home will fluctuate between players, as they explore the house’s many secrets, pilfer through every clickable item and thoroughly analyze the painstaking detail put into each object. There are some puzzles to solve that involve finding codes to locks, but otherwise, the game is about immersion.

That immersion wound up lasting for just under two hours for me, but with no hand-holding, the game allows you to take your time before you proceed with the rest of the story. Even after reaching the end of the main plotline, the player still has the option to go back and discover more side stories.

All the stories are brought to life through hand-written letters and messy rooms that allude to the different characters’ emotions at the time. Personality is prominently displayed in select rooms — such as Katie’s dad’s office and Sam’s room — which subtley hints at the plot.

Unfortunately, the immersion is broken at times by some sound design choices. When a plate hits the ground, it sounds exactly like any other falling object. There are also long stretches of silence and a recycled thunder sound effect that will abruptly cut in every now and then. That abruptness works to frighten, but at times it harms the atmosphere.

Regardless of any problems, Gone Home is an incredibly engaging experience that proves how powerful and emotional storytelling can be in video games. Available on Steam now, its minimalist approach to gameplay, short length, and attention to detail make it a game worth sitting down and devoting a couple of uninterrupted hours to; preferably with the lights down and headphones on.