We need not fear a nuclear Iran

0
1716

WEB- Jeanne Menjoulet-flickr copy

FREDRICTON (CUP) — There has been a great deal of concern in the news about whether  or not Iran is a threat. The nuclear program in Iran is close to levels that would allow it to create nuclear weapons. I am here to dispel myth and give you reasons why you should not be afraid of Iran.

Iran is an Islamic republic in the Middle East with a moderately modernized military, a space program, and surplus in its budget from oil exports. Iran is dominated by the Shi’a rather than most of the Middle East that is Sunni, which means that Iran’s neighbours are not very accommodating.

The United States and many western nations see Iran as a threat due to the success of their nuclear program. Iran claims that this nuclear program is for medical and energy purposes, but the West is frightened by the increased efficiency of their program.

Iran has never invaded another country.

It has supported armed factions in other countries, and sent some of its special forces into the Syrian civil war, but so have the US and countless other western countries. If there should be no reason for anyone to be afraid of Iran, why does the media and the U.S. continue to bring up the subject?

The Americans have continually used whatever means necessary to harm Iran.

The explanation is quite simple; the US dislikes the tone Iran has taken since the 70s. In 1979 the Shah of Iran, a dictator put in power by the US and the United Kingdom decades before, was overthrown. In an instant the US lost another ally in the Middle East and a source of cheap oil. The US then covertly supported Iraq with weapons and funds to combat Iran in a terrible war that saw wide-scale use of chemical weapons.

After this, the Americans, with their partner Israel, have continually used whatever means necessary to harm Iran. When Iran was furthering its development of uranium enrichment in the beginning of 2012, their lead scientists were killed by car bombs. According to Al Jazeera, Iran claimed Israel was behind the attacks.

Recently, the European Union and the US have placed embargoes and sanctions on Iran, tightening the pockets of ordinary Iranians. It seems that the US and their allies are bullying a country simply because it wants to sustain its country with nuclear power.

The time has come once again for the United Nations General Assembly meeting. The new president of Iran is asking for talks with the US about Iran’s nuclear program. This does not seem like the violent, evil, hate-mongering autocrat that America claims he is.

Hopefully the dialogue will come with an agreement that allows both sides to calm down, respect one another and become allies against instability in the region. Or, they can go back to what they do best: hating each other.