Off to a swinging-good start

0
399

The men’s golf program at SFU is one filled with historical success, but in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, the team disbanded. Fortunately those days are over, and since it’s reinvention in 2008, the men’s golf team has been steadily building momentum.

In the Clan’s first three seasons in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) the men suffered due to a lack of experience and a short roster, finishing at the bottom of the conference standings. Last season, with the addition of a strong group of freshmen their potential became evident: although they fell short of a regional qualifying performance, placing third at the Great Northwest Athletic Conference championships, the future looked bright.

Fast-forward to present day, where, following the completion of the fall portion of their new 2013 season, the men sit undefeated against all GNAC competitors, having had the most fall success since rejoining the Clan family several years ago. Led by head coach John Buchanan, the team is proving that they are ready to play in the big leagues.

Their performances in the fall season have been very good, placing in excellent positions at all three tournaments in the short preparatory season. Championship season begins in February 2014, and their head coach knows there is still work to do.

“We have so much potential this year, and I see us fighting for the GNAC championship title,” said Buchanan following the Clan’s recent performance at the Chico State Invitational. “I would like us to be able to qualify for regionals, but we need to see a bit more consistency. I have guys shoot an 80 in the first round then a 70 in the second; if we can harness that ability and be more consistent then we would really have some impressive performances.”

In the first tournament, the Clan started strong at the Western Washington Invitational, led through the three rounds by captain Mike Belle. Belle carded rounds of 76, 71 and 70 to place in a tie for seventh overall and lead his team to a top-three finish. The tournament also marked the first collegiate play for freshman Kevin Vigna, an Eddie Hogan Cup and Pacific Northwest Junior Boys’ Amateur Championship winner from this summer.

The following week the men finished eighth at the Golf Week Division II Fall Invitational, a tournament open to the top 50 teams in Division II of the NCAA. Their performance saw them lose only to higher ranked teams, and, once again, they did not lose to a GNAC competitor. Belle was the team’s top finisher, placing 14th individually, thanks to rounds of 78, 73 and 80. Following his performance Belle was named the GNAC Golfer of the Week.

quotes1
We have so much potential this year, and I see us fighting for the GNAC championship title.”

– John Buchanan, head coach

To close out their season, the men traveled to the Chico State Invitational, where after battling through heavy weather culminating in the cancellation of the final round of play, the team finished fourth overall. This time it was sophomore Bret Thompson, last season’s GNAC Golf Freshman of the Year, who led SFU through the tournament finishing in a tie for third place.

Thompson was in great position for the win before gale-force winds ripped through the course forcing the final round to be terminated before its completion. Thompson carded rounds of 73 and 69 to earn third position.

Following this performance the men improved in the national rankings moving from 49th to 36th overall in Division II — the team debuted at 77th in the 2012-13 season.  The men will now turn their attention to training as they prepare for the upcoming championship season that begins in February of the new year.

“The spring season is different, there is a big break between now and then,” said Buchanan. “The men will really have to focus in the offseason here to come back ready to play, especially in the poorer conditions that accompany the second season.”

Having already accomplished a lot in the fall season the Clan golfers will be back in 2014, rain or shine, and ready to compete for their best season in the NCAA yet.