Take me to the mountains

0
439

twinpeaks

To all my fellow SFU classmates that feel homesick for powder covered slopes, who sometimes wish they had been a ski bum rather than an academic, who get giddy when the weather turns cold and snow bases start to form: I have found a restaurant for you. Nestled along Kingsway in Mount Pleasant is the Black Lodge, a “Twin Peaks” themed restaurant that hits all the right nostalgic notes.

Upon entry I was transported to the mountains, and despite the large window revealing the busy traffic of Kingsway, it’s amazing how well this tiny room of a restaurant was able to make me feel worlds away.

With low-key background music and casual mannered staff, I felt a very mellow vibe throughout my whole experience. The tables were made of tree trunk cutouts and the settings were reminiscent of camping gear, creating a cohesive ambiance.

I ordered “Suzie’s Starry Night Chili” and a B.A.L.T (“Tree Hugger”) sandwich, while my friend ordered the small poutine and a grilled cheese sandwich — all of which remained true to the menu’s promise of being able to make almost all meals vegan or gluten free. Our food arrived in a good amount of time and was plated homestyle, like something my mom would have handed to me.

I wanted to take that chili out for a nice dinner and most definitely call it back.

The grilled cheese was made on sourdough bread that tasted extremely fresh. It was something I could make at home, which, in a way, was comforting yet a little disappointing. The poutine was extremely well done with a vegetarian gravy — but not tasting vegetarian in the least — and the curds were perfect sizes and a great consistency. The fries were fresh and obviously oven-baked.

My “Tree Hugger” sandwich was decent, but since it was a little heavy on the Dijon mustard I ended up skipping the bread covered with it. The sandwich ingredients were well thought out though, with a garlic aioli, sprouts, and faux coconut bacon doing a great pork impersonation; it was a BLT with a creative twist.

Last and oh so definitely not least was the chili (oh sweet taste bud gods, that chili). With perfectly cooked and seasoned vegetables, the perfect amount of beans, the entire top coated with impeccably melted cheese, and a generous dollop of sour cream and green onion garnish, this chili was everything I could ever want. I wanted to take that chili out for a nice dinner and most definitely call it back.

My meal — which I was hardly able to finish — came out to be around $15 dollars, including tip and tax (everything on the menu is listed as tax included prices). I give my experience two thumbs up and would definitely go back, if not just to satisfy my chili cravings. If you are a ski bum at heart and looking for a fun, cheap and filling restaurant, look no further than the Black Lodge.