Board shorts

0
445

onia-board-short-537x402

No by-election to be held in the fall

Board voted against holding a by-election in fall 2013 to fill the position of URO as well as the position of Facultyof Communication, Arts, and Technology Representative. The decision goes against a recommendation made in April by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) to fill the URO position by a by-election. The URO position is currently vacant, since the winner in the spring election, Alia Ali, was disqualified by the IEC because she was not registered as a student. The motion to have a by-election failed narrowly, with six board members for and seven against. Those opposed believed that the $14,000 price tag for a by-election would not be worth having a URO in place for the fall and spring semesters, while proponents cited transparency and legitimacy as reasons to hold the election.

Let them eat pasta

Board voted to approve entering into negotiations with campus restaurant Club Ilia for a spot in the MBC. The restaurant submitted a proposal for an express pasta bar, to be put in the Ladle’s old spot by the MBC food court. The SFSS has had difficulties finding a food service to put in the space, because of the lack of ventilation.

Club Ilia would prepare all their pasta at their main restaurant kitchen at Cornerstone, circumventing the issue. If an agreement is made, Ilia plans to provide cheap organic pasta plates, including whole wheat and gluten free options, ranging from $5.00 to $9.50.