Awards Rundown: the Jessies 2013

0
467

The theme of community surfaced over and over again in acceptance speeches during the 2013 Jessie Awards, and it was clear that the Vancouver theatre community is a supportive and inspiring group to be a part of. The awards ceremony and party, produced and directed by Vancouver Theatresports, was held on June 24 at the Commodore Ballroom, and the event celebrated the diverse, talented artists that have created works of theatre over the past year while remembering pioneers in the field.

Bard on the Beach’s 60s inspired version of The Merry Wives of Windsor tied with Presentation House Theatre’s Where the Wild Things Are for the most awards, each production earning four Jessies. Merry Wives was the star of the night taking home the Large Theatre awards for Outstanding Production as well as Outstanding Direction (Johnna Wright), Outstanding Costume Design (Drew Facey), and Significant Artistic Achievement (Benjamin Elliott for his musical direction). Gerald King also made Bard proud by winning Outstanding Lighting Design for his work on Macbeth.

Arts Club Theatre Company, also in the Large Theatre category and with by far the most nominations took home a few awards for its production Boeing-Boeing: Nicola Lipman won Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, and Andrew McNee won Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Lead Role.

Amir Ofek also won for his Outstanding Set Design. Master Class, also by Arts Club, had many nominations, and Gina Chiarelli won Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Lead Role for her portrayal of Maria Callas. Robert Maloney won Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role for his work in Arts Club’s Clybourne Park.

In Small Theatre category Terminus by Pi Theatre was the star, winning for Outstanding Production as well as Outstanding Lighting Design (Alan Brodie) and Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Lead Role (John Emmet Tracy). Also with multiple nominations, Broken Sex Doll took home Outstanding Costume Design (a great night for Drew Facey) and Outstanding Sound Design or Original composition (Anton Lipovetsky).

The poignant Porc-epic by Theatre la Seizieme, also fared quite well with a few nominations and well-deserved wins for Outstanding Direction (Craig Holzschuh) and Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (France Perras).

Sweeping the Theatre for Young Audiences category was Where the Wild Things Are produced by Presentation House Theatre in association with Manitoba Theatre for Young People. Wild Things won Outstanding Performance (Raes Calvert and Linda Carson), Outstanding Design (Linda Leon), Outstanding Artistic Creation (Kim Seody), and Significant Artistic Achievement for Outstanding Production.

Notable Special Awards of the night include Chealsea Haberlin’s Ray Michael Prize for Most Promising New Director, Jenn Stewart’s Sam Payne Award for Most Promising Newcomer, and wig master Christine Hackman’s John Moffat and Larry Lillo Prize. Hackman explained that she would use her winnings to make a “wig pilgrimage to Stratford.”

Of course the night wouldn’t be complete without the comedic antics of Vancouver Theatresports who infused the evening with hilarious segments such as their description of drink specials including “Bard Sex on the Beach.” We also had a visit from “Rob Ford” who gave a drunken speech while smoking a crack pipe: “You all smoked a joint before the show; I know you actor types!” Another highlight was Gaelan Beatty’s rendition of “Hey Ho” by The Lumineers with his chorus of “I belong with you, in your company, in my dream part.” The event affirmed the sense of community in Vancouver theatre.