University Briefs

0
393

Lady

Penis size matters

Apparently it is the size, and not what you do with it, gentlemen.

Biologist Brian Mautz, a University of Ottawa researcher, has concluded that “flaccid penis size had a significant influence on male attractiveness.” The study involved females evaluating potential sexual partners by judging the attractiveness of male figures with different sized penises.

However, bigger is not always better: “The data showed an upside-down-U-shaped curve for each trait,” meaning that there were diminishing returns for extreme size. Additionally, penis size did not seem to matter for  the attractiveness of short men; what matter more is proportions.

The team’s model predicts that the most attractive penis would measure 12.8 to 14.2 centimetres in its flaccid state, which is relatively close to the population average.

With files from The Canadian Press

Potential non-gendered washrooms at Douglas

With the recent election of Milo Leraar, DSU Pride Liason, Douglas College’s Pride Collective is looking to push for non-gendered washrooms and “better queer representation and understanding within the college.”

In keeping with the group’s shift towards more collective decision making, Leraar was eager to listen to these ideas at a recent collective meeting.

“The last collective meeting was really awesome. There was a lot of diverse opinion in representation at the meeting,” said Leraar. “I’m hoping that can continue on so that we can put a lot of intention into making this not only a queer safe space but safe for people of all identities.”

With files from The Other Press

Forum explored science of sex and relationships

On June 8, the University of Guelph held a daylong research symposium on “The Science of Sex and Relationships.” Prof. Robin Milhausen, a sex educator and event co-chair explained, “people tend to study sex and relationships as separate topics . . . as researchers, these two groups don’t get together too often.”

According to Milhausen, the delegates discussed how having a satisfying sex life and a positive relationship go hand in hand (no pun intended). The two are mutually reinforcing; the thought is that better sex can be found in a relationship, where emotional attachment and trust are present, and not outside of one. Other topics explored included asexuality and working with high-risk sex offenders.

With files from University of Guelph

Winnipeg women harassed more often than previously thought

In a recent survey of 300 people by Hollaback! Winnipeg, it was found that 94 per cent of women and members of the LGBT community (specifically, genderqueer and transgendered individuals) in Winnipeg have been the victim of sexual harassment, where 63 per cent experience harassment at least once a month.

The most common forms of harassment that these victim’s underwent include honking, whistling, leering, and comments about physical appearance.

Lexi van Dyck, a fourth-year women’s and gender studies student at the University of Winnipeg, believes that the best way to avoid such oppressive and frightening behavior is to teach young students about how to better interact with opposite genders.

With files from The Uniter: Winnipeg’s Weekly Urban Journal