Peak Week June 3 – 8

0
487

Eats

The Portside Pub will be hosting Riverboat Throwdown as part of Vancouver’s Craft Beer Week celebrations this week on June 6. The pub, already decked out like the interior of a big wooden ship, will be transformed into a riverboat casino, complete with chance games and professional dealers. There will be a 10-keg “cask off” where brewers will show off their one-of-a-kind crafted beers, brewed specially for the event, and compete for the title of “Cask Maverick.” Servers will be dressed in saloon-style costume, and there will be a performance by live swing band Sweetpea Quintet. Tickets are $25 and include game tokens and one tasting ticket.

Beats

Music Waste is back!  The Music Waste Festival runs from June 6–9, with performances by various local groups including Waters, Dead Soft, The New Values, Crystal Swells, Watermelon, and many many more. Performances are going on at several venues around the city, including the Anza Club, The Rickshaw, and Artbank. On June 8 the Biltmore Cabaret and Music Waste Festival presents Go Your Own Waste, featuring Inherent Vices, Hermetic and Diane.There are also comedic performances and art events around the city. Check out the full schedule at musicwaste2013.com.

Theats

Check out the Rio Theatre on June 6 for a screening of The Piano Has Been Drinking: A Tribute to Tom Waits. Tom Waits songs will be performed live on stage as part of a fundraiser for Battered Women’s Support Services Charity. Waits’ unique blend of jazz, theatricals, grizzled blues, and whiskey has earned him a long cult following. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 at the door. The show begins at 8 p.m.

Elites

Seeing as the forecast doesn’t seem to be getting better anytime soon, why not spend the night inside a bowling alley? Grandview Lanes on Commerical Drive only costs $5 per person for five pin bowling, or $5.25 per person for 10 pin, so it’s a cheap night out and a great excuse to get a bunch of friends together. Plus, there’s cheap-ass cans of beer, those nachos with the nasty neon cheese, and a few hot dogs forever rotating in a hot food display. It’s a fun time for all, I will promise you that. Hint: wear white and go glow bowling.

Treats

The Chinatown Experiment, a storefront offering its space to up and coming entrepreneurs, will have its space occupied by Citizen Grace, an online boutique offering goods from local Vancouver designers. The designers and curators of the shop will be bringing their collection of unique jewelry, clothing, and accessories to the Chinatown space, running from June 8–9. Expect to find things like the thin gold kitten ring by Foe and Dear, anchor stud earrings by Wolf Circus, and floral leggings from B.B. Revised Vintage Clothing.