Peak Week June 17 – 22

0
426

Eats

Looking for Tiki to happiness? Or just an escape from bad puns? Check out The Shameful Tiki Room on Main Street. The joint is dedicated to creating an authentic Tiki experience, with its adherence to dark interiors, and music that doesn’t overpower conversations. The decor has been imported from all over the world, with Tapas cloth coming from Fiji and Tonga, Tiki carvings, puffer fish lamps, and even a piece of artwork from the Waldorf Hotel. Expect share plates and many vintage crafted cocktails, including the Zombie, the Jet Pilot, and of course, the Mai Tai.

Beats

The Vancouver International Jazz Festival begins June 21 and runs until July 1. The festival takes place at several different venues across the city and features many musicians taking part, including the Dylan Cramer Trio, Sounds of Youth, and Wake Owl. One performance that should not be missed is on June 27, an evening of David Murray Infinity Quartet featuring Macy Gray. Check the full schedule at coastaljazz.ca.

Theats

Wednesday, June 19, the Rio Theatre will be hosting an Improv Against Humanity show by The Fictionals Comedy Co. Officially endorsed by the game Cards Against Humanity, this improv show will bring to life some of the most absurd comedic moments on stage. Nothing will be off limits, and you can expect such topics as “Harry Potter Erotica” and “A Windmill Full of Corpses.” If you’re looking for a good mid-week laugh, tickets are $6 in advance or $9 at the door.

Elites

The Powell Street Festival presents The Orientique on June 22. Taking place at the Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, fashion meets art in an evening of performance, introducing the mixing of fashion design and wearable art. The evening will feature designs by Yasuhiro Tomita of Rukus, Terry Sasaki, and Akihiko Izukura. DJ LKS will provide the music, and there will be dance performances by Ralph Escamillan and Katerina Leppard, fusing together Western and Eastern influences and old and new Japan. Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door.

Treats

I don’t care where you get it from, but if you need to get your hands on some Earnest Ice Cream, ASAP. If you’re anything like me, you crave ice cream at least once (or three times) a week, and not just anything is going to cut it. This is where Earnest Ice Cream comes in and saves your life. Ben and Erica, the two geniuses behind the locally made treat, realized that they were passionate about making good food — specifically, ice cream — and I’m glad they did. You can find jars of the stuff all around the city, including Dirty Apron, Le Marche St. George, and various Farmers Markets around the city. Flavours range from Whiskey Hazelnut to Blue Cheese and Fig to Mulled Pear. Grab a pint and hit up the beach.