Open relationships get a bad rap

0
466

By Gloria Mellesmoen

Relationships, in any construct, are social contracts with certain terms and conditions implied in their creation. The traditional “monogamous”relationship has been one that has persisted throughout the ages with certain adaptations to reflect the times.

Though pre-marital couples may not officially sign a contract, there is an implicit understanding that surrounds their existence. I like to think of this kind of relationship as adopting a template that has proven to work, for the most part, in the past.

Those who enter open relationships have examined this template and want to modify the terms and conditions to reflect what they want in a partnership. They have sat down at a bargaining table and negotiated on what their ideal relationship looks like, and determine together how each individual can best benefit from an agreement to date.

In this light, it seems strange that one would condemn the idea of an open relationship as less committed without any notion of what the involved parties have agreed to. Each couple has their own structure and accompanying guidelines that they maintain throughout the course of the relationship.

Though the contract might not reflect the societal norm, it does not mean there will be more leniency or less punishment for not complying with the terms of agreement.

Open relationships often get a negative reputation for being purely about sex, but I wholeheartedly disagree. While most couples of this nature are, to varying degrees, accepting of sexual interaction outside of the pairing, it is not the crux of their existence or the thing that breaks them. Monogamous relationships tend to put their focus on their physical aspects.

Cheating can be a concern for anyone, but those in monogamous relationships are the ones who tend to rank sleeping with another person to be the worst offense. In contrast, open relationships are often structured around the idea that emotional attachment is more important than the physical.

The priority in an open relationship is not about managing what your partner does, or does not do with their body. The traditional relationship used to assume male dominance and implied ownership over a woman, which is something our Western culture has shunned.

I think open relationships are a novel way of reflecting on the progression society has made by encouraging dialogue between individuals before entering a relationship that maximizes mutual gain.

Open relationships, just like monogamous relationships, are as unique as the people in them. Some couples prefer disclosure about sexual acts before or after, while others do not. There may be restrictions on who gets labeled as fair game; these can include or exclude mutual acquaintances. Cheating may be defined in a variety of ways. While there are many variations, there are several common elements that often accompany this breed of relationship.

An open relationship is a symbiotic one which thrives on the happiness and safety, both emotional and physical, of the parties involved. Though you may have the freedom to act on primal urges, it is done with consideration of your partner and therefore, makes sexual safety a necessity. When it comes down to it, your partner comes first. The relationship ends when you no longer give them priority.

Open relationships are just as serious as traditional ones. The terms and conditions may vary, but they are still part of a social contract. Whether one values sexual or emotional exclusivity, every relationship is a committed one.