Movie Poster Reviews

0
394

Written by George Hillman. 

Here’s a look at some of the movie posters that are currently out on walls and poles near you. Check out these reviews to find out which ones you should stop and look at and which ones you should block out from your peripherals at all costs.

Hangover Part III

Starring: Ed Helms, Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis

Dimensions: 27 by 40 inches

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

The latest instalment in the Hangover movie poster series, The Hangover III poster might not be as good as the original but it’s still a lot of fun and a great way to spend 30 seconds. Personally, I was a huge fan of The Hangover I poster and  it’s was great to see our three favorite hungover-looking guys back in an upright pose. Although this final poster in the series isn’t as laugh-out loud funny as the previous two (all three guys have all their teeth and there’s no baby or even monkey wearing any funny accessories), I still think this one has all the humour and heart we’ve come to expect from these posters. I don’t want to give away too much for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet but they are going to be dressed a lot differently than we’ve seen before. So, if you’re a fan of photos of three guys with a big title placed below them you should definitely check out The Hangover III poster!

The Great Gatsby

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton, Tobey Maguire

Dimensions: 40 by 60 inches (Bus Stop Version)  

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

While I may have been sceptical when I first heard they were turning my favorite book cover into a movie poster, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by The Great Gatsby. It’s a little more complicated looking than the book, which I wasn’t exactly a fan of, but at least the guy in the tuxedo is more handsome than just a disembodied pair of lips and eyes. Overall, I thought this movie poster captured the spirit of the book cover nicely even if its second half (the right side) might drag a little.

Citizen Kane

Starring: Orson Welles, Dorothy Comingore, Everett Sloane

Dimensions: 27 by 40 inches 

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars    

Released in 1941, the Citizen Kane poster is still one of the most acclaimed and top selling movie posters in the world but in my opinion it just doesn’t hold up to today’s glossy, non-illustrated posters. The poster not only looks extremely dated but it has little intrigue or suspense to it all. There’s practically no plot (SPOILER), just three people looking in different directions. All in all Citizen Kane is just another overrated top-selling movie poster that has no substance or style.

George Hillman is a top movie poster critic who has reviewed over 10,000 titles since 1973. However, he has never seen a movie in his life and has still never made the connection between movie posters and movies.