Coalition calls for federal decriminalization of all drugs

0
453

WEB-CDPC War On Drugs-Courtesy of Esquisite Photography-Flickr

Harper’s government and police oppose report’s proposal

By Sahira Memon
Photos by Patrick Down

A report published on May 23rd by the Canadian Drug Policy Coalition (CDPC) has reopened the debate as to whether or not the “war on drugs” is a justified one.

The CDPC is a partner project with the Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction (CARMHA), a research centre based at the Faculty of Health Sciences at SFU Vancouver. Its members include policy experts such as executive director Donald MacPherson, a health sciences professor at the University. The national coalition is based out of SFU’s Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction.

The CDPC’s report criticizes the aggressive stance of the Harper government’s “war on drugs,” claiming that instead of emphasizing law enforcement and punitive responses, the government should really be focusing on a harm-reduction approach.

“While countries all around the world are adopting forward-thinking, evidence-based drug policies, Canada is taking a step backwards and strengthening punitive policies that have been proven to fail,” stated a summary of the 112-page report from the CDPC.

The CDPC is now suggesting a new direction for the federal government, one that includes the decriminalization of all illicit drugs, including crack cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamines. According to the coalition, the subsequent de-emphasizing of the legal response would make room for an emphasis on safe injection and support sites.

According to the Calgary Herald, Donald MacPherson, director of the CDPC and an adjunct professor with SFU’s Faculty of Health Sciences stated, “We’re doing this to improve public health and safety, not create a free-for-all. What we have now is a free-for-all.” MacPherson co-authored the report along with Connie Carter, a UVic graduate of the Department of Sociology.

While there are safe injection sites in Vancouver, such as the well-known Insite, there is an alleged lack of awareness and funding that is seriously impacting the amount of service it can provide, something the CDPC is quick to criticize.

“Where sound and relatively safe treatments exist, provincial governments and health authorities drag their feet because of outmoded ideas about some drugs or shortsighted concerns about finances,” read the summary of the CDPC report.

The CDPC gave statistical evidence for the need for what they call a “radical new direction.” According to the report, cannabis possession charges have increased by 16 per cent from 2001 to 2011. In the aftermath of the report’s release, the Harper government was asked for their opinion on this and other approaches to Canada’s “drug problem.”

“Our government has no intention of legalizing or decriminalizing any harmful, illicit substance — including heroin or crystal meth,” said Sean Phelan, a spokesperson for Justice Minister Rob Nicholson, according to The Province.

He continued, “We are pleased with the considerable progress made toward meeting the goals of the National Anti-Drug Strategy, which seeks to prevent illicit drug use, treat those with illicit drug dependencies, and combat the production and distribution of illicit drugs.”

Calgary Police Staff Sgt. Tom Hanson, speaking on behalf of the Calgary Drug Unit, also disagreed with the findings of the report, stating that “criminals would just find another way to make money.” He also mentioned that police have been trying their fair share of progressive strategies, often sending addicts to treatment rather than a jail cell.