Peak Week May 6–11

0
458

Eats

The Flying Pig has just opened its second location in Gastown (the first location was Yaletown). This new location was previously filled by chain restaurant Chronic Taco, but the replacement is considerably classier. Entrees include Red Wine Braised Beef Short Rib and Wild Seafood Pappardelle. Or, if you’re looking for something a little more low-key, try Andrew’s Pulled Pork Poutine or the Jumbo Shortrib Macaroni.

Beats

The Biltmore Cabaret will host The Smiths Tribute Night on May 9th, an evening not to be missed. For $5 at the door you get entry to several performances by different bands, including Easy Meat, Louise Burns, In Medias Res, Christopher Smith, Pleasure Cruise, Devon Lougheed of Beekeeper, and Dead Soft, among others.  There will also be a screening of The South Banks Show with The Smiths at 9 p.m., so get there early and don’t miss out. Cheap beer and “Hand in Glove”, what else are you going to do on a Thursday night?

Theats

DOXA is on from May 3-12, and with 74 screenings at 5 different venues, there’s bound to be something that appeals to everyone. The documentary film festival features films from around the world. The opening night film, Occupy the Movie, is directed by Vancouverite Corey Ogilvie, who will be present at the screening. Other highlights include East Hastings Pharmacy and Backbone: Vancouver Experimental Cinema from 1967-1981. Check out doxafestival.ca for screening times and tickets.

Elites

Pay a visit to the Vancouver Art Gallery for a lecture by Jean-Francoise Chevrier. The Paris-based curator and art historian will be discussing the work of Patrick Faigenbaum, focusing on the artist’s photography in this context of its first showing in North America. Stop in early and check out Faigenbaum’s work first, and while you’re at it, check out the newly installed Grand Hotel: Redesigning Modern Life exhibit.

Treats

Lost & Found Market is hosting a Project Space Fundraiser, running from May 10 until June 2. Project Space is a volunteer-run bookshop, publisher, and alternative art space. Head out to the Lost & Found space, located in Gastown, and dig through the mountains of vintage and gently loved goods. The selection includes furniture, clothing, shoes, housewares, artworks, ceramics, board games, books, records, and more. There will be an opening night event on May 10 at 8 p.m., so pay them a visit and support your local artists and authors. Hey, you might even find that one Cole Porter record you’ve been looking for.