Peak Week May 21 – 25

0
453

Eats

Long-standing Main St. fixture Habit has permanently closed its doors as of April 14th, reopening as Charlie’s Little Italian by the same owners. The new joint has just opened its doors, bringing an old school Italian vibe to the neighbourhood. Charlie’s is an affordable pasta place, reinvigorating that old-timey feeling of family dinners. You can expect traditional pasta dishes, antipasti, hand-tossed garlic breads, a small and cozy wine list, as well as Italian sodas, cocktails, and espresso. And for those regulars lamenting the end to their brunch service: don’t worry, it’s not going anywhere.

Beats

May 24th and 25th will see the 9th Annual International Jondo Flamenco Festival, co-presented by SFU Woodwards. The first night will be “Zyryab”, for a night of “soul, artistry and passion,” combining Persian and Flamenco song, dance and music traditions. Happening on the second night is “Camino Real,” featuring flamenco dancer from Madrid, Antonio Arrebola, joined by singers Cristo Cortes and Pirouz de Caspio. Guitarist Ricardo Diaz will also be joining the performance. If you’re looking for something lively and different, why not check out the festival and get your flamenco on this weekend?

Theats

If you’ve ever wanted to see a fusion of burlesque and musical theatre, this one’s for you. Grimm Girls: Once Upon a Tease is the third production by Concrete Vertigo, combining classic Grimm Brothers fables with the sexy stylings of burlesque performance. Expect to see a whole new side of Cinderella, Snow White, Red Riding Hood and the Evil Queen. Running until May 25th, you’ve got a few chances to partake in this one. There will be a cash bar and most certainly some nudity.

Elites

The Audain Gallery at SFU Woodwards is exhibiting The Biography of Images: Parallel Biographies from May 9–August 17. As part of a series of photography exhibitions from the Austrian Federal Photography Collection, this exhibit brings together artists from Vienna and Vancouver. Each photograph carries with it a story of production: what was the process of creating it? What kind of decisions were made? What kind of relationship is there between creator and photograph? By considering these processes, the viewer is then able to imagine a “biography” of the work itself, tying together art and artist.

Treats

If you’ve got a Saturday afternoon free, consider checking out the Trout Lake Farmers Market. Local produce and other goodies offer plenty to choose from, and if you’re looking for something a little hands-on and good for families, check out Aloe Designs DIY station. On May 25th, check out the Mason Bee Houses station, where you’ll be able to assemble your own Mason bee house out of reclaimed wood to take home. These little bees are great for creating biodiversity in the garden, and it’s a fun activity for little ones as well.