Despite recent tolerance trend in sports, Cloverdale Rodeo to remain a closeted gay rodeo

0
404

Local Rodeo expected to continue living a lie.

By Brad McLeod

CLOVERDALE — Despite the growing trend of “acceptance of others” in sports, organizers of the Cloverdale Rodeo are still claiming that their event is “not a gay rodeo,” indicating that the rodeo will remain in the closet when it opens this weekend.

Although the sports landscape is changing rapidly with NBA player Jason Collins becoming the first openly gay active North American major league athlete, and persistent rumours that even an NFL player might soon come forward as being non-homophobic, apparently not every athlete or sporting event are ready to be honest with the public.

“We’re just not a gay rodeo, those are part of a totally separate association that we are not affiliated with,” claimed an organizer of the Cloverdale Rodeo, furiously trying to cover up the event’s true nature, “We’re a good old-fashioned family rodeo, we don’t have any problem with gay rodeos but that’s not what we are.”

While these lies may have been enough to satisfy most rodeo-goers who just want to keep their heads down and pretend that there aren’t any closeted rodeos around, others have spoken out in support of the rodeo just coming out already.

“I’ve been to that rodeo and I can tell you without question that its not being honest with itself,” explained Joe Sherman, a gay rights activist and self described owner of a Gaydar system “Have you seen the kind outfits people are wearing at that thing? Tight shirts, skinny jeans, chaps . . .  mind you I’ve never been to any other rodeos but I can’t believe that any straight men would honestly dress like that.”

While The Peak can neither confirm nor deny the dressing habits of heterosexual men at rodeos, even the mere possibility that the Cloverdale rodeo could be a gay rodeo has been enough to set off some vicious comments from Christian fundamentalists excited to be given an opportunity to be angry.

“If what I think I might have heard could be possibly true is indeed correct, then the Cloverdale Rodeo might possibly be walking in direct opposition of God,” explained Michael Patterson, an upset Surrey pastor. “I can’t believe that the place I go to watch wholesome things like barebacking, bull riding and team roping could also be involved in gay activities!” Aside from a few negative reactions from some non-progressive cowpokes, most people have shown either indifference or support for the rodeo whether it comes out or not.

“What do I care if a rodeo is gay or not?” asked one man The Peak spoke to on the streets of Cloverdale “I don’t care what it’s sexual orientation is, as long as it’s an entertaining, competitive, high-level event with only white people, I have no problem with it.”

While the rodeo’s coming out could have offered great publicity and served as an excellent deflection away from any animal rights concerns, those in charge of the rodeo have continued to deny the truth by grasping at straws by saying that the event “isn’t a gay rodeo, it started in 1945 which is before gay rodeos even existed, so there’s no way they could ‘come out’ whatever that means, I don’t even understand.”