SFU face-off against BC Thunder

0
443

WEB-W hockey-Vaikunthe Banerjee

Women’s hockey team comes up short against BC Thunder to finish home schedule

By Vaikunthe Banerjee

On March 8, the SFU Women’s Hockey team hosted their last home game against the BC Thunder in the South Coast Amateur Female Hockey League. The game started with SFU dominating and keeping the puck in the offensive zone and not allowing the Thunder to drive to their net.

With 11:24 left in the first period, the BC Thunder broke through SFU’s defense and flipped the puck to the top of the net, making the game 1–0. SFU had scoring chances but couldn’t capitalize. The women got a chance on a power-play but BC Thunder’s penalty kill unit came out on top.

The second period started with both teams going up and down the ice, looking for chances to score. Both teams went up the middle to the slot, but were forced to skate the puck out wide by the defense.

BC Thunder’s frustration was on show, as they drew four penalties in the period. Unfortunately, SFU could not convert on any of these chances. Their special team made good plays by passing to the point and seeking high percentage shots on net, but they could not make good.

BC Thunder’s Kaitlin Knowles managed to get a pass to Brittany Wakefield at the goal line. Wakefield scored the Thunder’s second goal with 12:55 left in the second period, making the game 2–0.

BC Thunder showed their dominance in the third period as they kept getting scoring chances. Stephanie Mumm managed to score on SFU off of a shot from the point. It deflected off a player and dipped down through Lea Lewis’ fivehole, making the game 3–0.
Despite their lead, BC Thunder’s ire only grew, and finally Clara Gaudet took a cheap shot on SFU’s Sheralie Taylor, pushing her into the boards behind their goal.

Taylor was injured and lying on the ice and was helped off the ice after a few minutes when she could get up. Gaudet was given a five-minute major for boarding and SFU had a power-play for the rest of the game. They could not convert and lost the game 3–0.