Peak Week – April 2, 2013

0
426

Eats
Let me preface this by saying I love cheese. I mean, I really, really love cheese. If I could eat cheese as a meal, I would, but I realize that would probably not be very nutritious. Despite this, I eat cheese as often as I can, so when I found out about Benton Brothers Fine Cheese, I was more than excited.

This place carries a wide array of handmade cheeses, ranging from rustic sheep’s milk cheeses from the Basque, tart nutty goat cheeses from France, to some of the best varieties from across Canada. They also offer various accompaniments like olives, cornichons, dried figs and cherries, as well as a selection of cured meats to complete the most perfect charcuterie plate you could ever imagine.

With three locations — West 41st, Cambie Village, and Granville Island — you will never be left without cheese again. Thank goodness for that.

Beats
If you’re a jazz fan, consider this weekend planned. George Coleman will be performing April 5–7 at the Cellar Jazz club in the memory of Ross Taggart, whom Coleman taught in the early 90s.

Tenor saxophonist Coleman has played with some of the biggest names in jazz: for a couple of years, he was a member of the Miles Davis Quintet alongside Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, and later recording Maiden Voyage with Herbie Hancock.

This is a great opportunity to hear a legend play outside of New York City, whether you’re a fan or have neglected to listen to jazz before, in which case you should start now.

Theats
The Arts Club presents 2 Pianos 4 Hands, an autobiographical production written, directed, and starred by Ted Dykstra and Richard Greenblatt. The play has become one of Canada’s most successful theatrical productions, and in this farewell performance, creators and stars will lead the audience through a comical narrative of their childhood of piano lessons.

The two of them are self-professed “extraordinar ily good failed musicians,” demonstrating their virtuoso displays of technique on stage. If you can relate to the tortures — or joys — of learning piano as a child, or if you just really enjoy humour coupled with piano music, this one is probably worth catching. It runs until April 14.

Elites
The Audain Gallery presents Syllogisms, an SFU School for Contemporary Arts MFA Spring Exhibition. The idiosyncratic display features work from MFA students, ranging from visual art, live performances, and contemporary dance works. The syllogism is a formal system of logic, containing three categorical propositions: two premises and one conclusion. In the context of the exhibition, the syllogism symbolizes the interdisciplinary group of artists exploring several different “premises” and meanings through their practice. The exhibit will be running until April 6, so if you’re on the downtown campus and have some time to spare, why not pay a visit and support your fellow SFU students.

Treats
If you’re itching to bust out those high-waisted floral silks and cateye sunglasses, you’re not alone. With spring visibly among us, now is the best time to update your wardrobe a bit.

Stop in at Burcu’s Angels, located at East 16th, just off of Main St. for some of the most unique vintage finds in the city. The glass display case in the front is filled with jewels and pendants, whether you’re looking for something a little art deco, or some fun 80s-style baubles.
The shelves are filled with row upon row of 50s florals, fringed shawls, one of a kind summer dresses, as well as light tweed blazers for men. Don’t forget to stop in the back room when you visit: this is where the really old stuff is, including gorgeous Edwardian floorlength dresses, brocade-laden velvet jackets, and little beaded clutches. It is on the pricier side, but the owner is usually willing to make a deal, and if you still can’t afford anything, Burcu’s will at least provide a little sartorial inspiration for those sunny days we’re all looking forward to.