Men’s hockey falls in championship

0
341

Selkirk College overwhelms SFU to win BCIHL championship

By Andrew Jow

A great BCIHL season came to a close over the weekend as the top two teams from the league faced off in a best-of-three championship series. The Simon Fraser University Clan were pitted against the top ranked Selkirk College Saints at the Nelson and District Community Complex in a highflying affair that lived up to the hype.

The first 20 minutes of game one were the model for everything that followed. At first, SFU was the better team, as they finished their checks and won the battles along the boards.

Clan netminder Graeme Gordon also set the tone for his stellar play over the weekend as he thwarted a Selkirk two-on-one by stacking the pads while diving cross crease.

Gordon’s counterpart, Alex Sirard was equally up to the task, miraculously using his stick to steer a Jono Ceci attempt away from its course to the back of the net. SFU dominated early on, but could not solve Sirard.

The second period started much the same way the first ended, with both goalies stealing the show. Gordon flashed the leather on Scott Swiston, and Sirard was easily Selkirk’s best penalty killer, backstopping his team to two straight kills.

Selkirk ended the deadlock on a power play of their own, as Justin Sotkowy tipped in a Dylan Smith point shot. The Saints’ lead grew to two when Mason Spear jammed the puck home during a power play scramble in front of SFU’s net.

Despite a mass of SFU power plays in the final frame, Sirard was not to be beaten, giving his team the all-important first victory.
Five-on-five play was relatively even throughout the game, so special teams played an important role. SFU’s power play had troubles entering the zone all night as they constantly went offside, leading to an 0–6 night. Coach Mark Coletta was visibly frustrated at his special teams, as Selkirk’s edge in power play goals served as the difference in this one.

Game two started much the same way as game one, with SFU flying around and drawing penalties. Unfortunately, another theme carried over was a lack of success for SFU’s power play.

Simon Fraser finally broke the goose egg with a Kale Wild penalty shot. Wild skated in and froze Sirard with an ankle shattering deke, eventually firing the puck top shelf.

Wild’s effort gave SFU their first lead over Selkirk all season. SFU’s Brenden Silvester added to the advantage on a massive slap shot from the high slot. The visitors were well on their way to forcing a deciding game three until Selkirk’s Cody Fidgett hit Clan leading scorer Ben Van Lare from behind.

Van Lare missed the rest of the game. Shortly after the Fidgett hit, Selkirk capitalized on a skirmish in SFU’s net when Thomas Hardy buried a muchneeded goal. Selkirk found their legs after Hardy’s effort and carried the momentum into the third.

Without Van Lare, SFU had trouble mounting any type of offense in the third period. The play throughout the final 25 minutes of the contest was carried by Selkirk, and mostly took place in the Clan’s own zone.
Gordon did his best to keep his team in it, but could not stop a perfectly placed Jordan Wood wrist shot, which tied up the game. Regulation ended with the two squads tied 2–2, which meant the series would go into sudden death overtime.

SFU needed a goal to keep their season alive, but three minutes into overtime it was Selkirk’s Cody Fidgett who played the role of hero. Fidgett flew down the sidewall and slid a sharp angled shot past Gordon, giving Selkirk their first ever BCIHL Championship.

The SFU men’s hockey team left Nelson with a sour taste in their mouth. They played tough, inspired hockey, but ultimately could not solve the Selkirk Saints. As a good season ends, the boys from Burnaby will put this one past them and look to finish next season on a higher note.