SFU Holds on for win

0
418

WEB-mens hockey-Vaikunthe Banerjee

SFU starts three game road trip with win over Trinity Western University

By Andrew Jow
Photos by Vaikunthe Banerjee

With January coming to a close, the Simon Fraser University hockey team (12–3–0) took on the Trinity Western University Spartans (3–12–0) on Saturday night. With their next three games coming on the road, it was important for SFU to put forth a good effort and start the road swing off strong.

SFU had their best chance early when Ben La Vare broke in alone on TWU goaltender Tim Zwiers, but was turned away. Following a solid penalty kill of a four-minute TWU power play, SFU got on the board as defenseman Taylor Swaffield crept in from the left point and buried a fantastic La Vare crossice pass. Nick Sandor added another SFU tally with 1:18 left in the period when he tapped in a slick Christopher Hoe pass at the TWU goalmouth. SFU started the game strong, using their speed and strength to take a 2–0 advantage after one. The first half of the second period was all about Clan net-minder Andrew Parent. He made an incredible glove save off of TWU’s Matthew Chaput early in the period. Parent wasn’t done there though. Less than a minute later he made a cross-crease save to thwart a TWU two-on-one. Kale Wild rewarded his goalie’s efforts by scoring a short-handed goal with 8:03 to go in the second. To top his strong period off, Parent turned away a late breakaway chance by Mattias Schmitt.

The third period started off great for SFU, with number nine Joey Pavone capitalizing on a fantastic stretch pass by Swaffield. After this early marker, it was all TWU. The Spartans applied immense pressure for most of the period, which resulted in two quick goals by Tyler Miller and Matt Ius. But with 6:10 to go and the score 4–2, TWU’s Josh Stephenson committed a hooking penalty. SFU were given a perfect opportunity to ice the game, and the Clan did just that. Despite being 0-for-4 on the power play, SFU’s Jono Ceci netted the game clincher. The power play goal was the most important of the night.

Although TWU gave a good effort in the third period, SFU was able to hang on and convert at the key juncture in the game. With this win, SFU stays within three points of first place Selkirk College. The Clan plays Eastern Washington and Selkirk next week as part of this three game road trip.