Peak Week – February 18, 2013

0
509

Eats
Lost and Found Cafe has recently opened at 33 West Hastings street, and it is definitely worth checking out. The décor consists of world maps hodgepodged onto old wooden chairs and bookshelves stuffed with copies of National Geographic. Owners Kane Ryan and Salomeh Jalali have made the focal point of the cafe a sense of worldliness, demonstrated by the shelves of Indian scarves and hand-sewn wallets, collected by Ryan while living in Mumbai. Try their Thai noodle salad or homemade cinnamon bun, which was one of the best I’ve ever had.

Beats
Thursday, Feb. 21, will see Sparta and In Medias Res play at The Biltmore. American group Sparta is an amalgamation of posthardcore group members of At the Drive-In. The real show-stoppers here, though only billed as guests, are In Medias Res, Vancouver’s own experimental post-rock group. The band is one of the most lauded in the city, and has become more and more successful over the past few years after releasing their Intimacy EP and their full-length album Of What Was. Tickets are $22 at Red Cat, Zulu, Dandelion Records & Emporium, Biltmore Store and Ticketweb. This show is one not to be missed.

Theats
SFU’s Public Square presents Lunch Poems, a series of poetry readings by well-known and up and coming poets, held on the third Wednesday of every month in the Teck Gallery at Harbour Centre. This coming Wednesday, Feb. 20, Rita Wong and Juliane Okot Bitek will be sharing some of their work. Wong is the author of three books, titled Sybil unrest, forage, and monkey puzzle. Her work focuses on the relationships between contemporary poetics, social justice, ecology, and decolonization. Bitek has won several awards in Canada, the United States, and Britain, and is the author of Words in Black Cinnamon. She writes and speaks about issues of home, homeland, and diaspora. Lunch Poems at SFU will take place from 12–1, so bring your lunch!

Elites
Plan a visit to the Museum of Vancouver this coming Thursday, Feb. 21, and learn about the history of sexual satisfaction. The museum will be hosting an evening called Made to Pleasure: DIY Design and Talk with Rachel Maines. Plan on engaging in some arts and crafts, as the evening will begin with a design session in which guests will create a prototype of a vibrator from plasticine. Professionals from Standard Design (WeVibe) and Vancouver’s Womyn’s Ware Inc. will be joining Rachel Maines, who will be giving a talk on the connections between technology, culture, sex, and the law. The evening is 18+ and the cost is included in the price of admission to the museum.

Treats
Meadow Gifts and Apparel has recently made its home in Gastown at 104 Water St., and if you haven’t paid it a visit yet, this week is a good time to start. The store’s inventory has been carefully selected amongst wares from local craftsmen and artisans. Expect owl printed pillows, hand-drawn greeting cards, carved wood earrings, and boxes of triple-milled oatmeal soap. If you’re looking for a gift for a fella or lady, this is a good choice.