Two arrests made in Maple Batalia Case

0
649

Batalia’s ex-boyfriend Gurjinder Dhaliwal charged with first-degree murder

By Kelli Gustafson

IHIT, along with the Surrey RCMP, held a press conference on December 2, 2012, confirming two arrests relating to the murder of Maple Batalia. Batalia’s ex-boyfriend, Gurjinder (Gary) Dhaliwal, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. His “associate”, Gursimar Singh Bedi, was arrested for manslaughter, use of a firearm, as well as being an ‘accessory after-the-fact.’ The arrests were made on Nov. 30, 2012 by the Integrated Homicide Investigation team (IHIT).

Batalia, an SFU health science student, was shot Sept. 28, 2011, in the parking lot of the SFU Surrey campus. Batalia had been studying late at the campus when she was shot at approximately 1:00 a.m. while walking to her car.

Batalia’s family was present during the press conference, where Maple Batalia’s sister, Roseleen Batalia, spoke on behalf of her family. “This isn’t an easy day for us, it’s very bittersweet… Although we can’t bring Maple back, we’re happy to see that the people responsible for this are now going to suffer the consequences.” As the investigation process has been a long and emotional affair, the Batalia family originally asked for privacy from the media and public now that arrests have been made. “We can finally start to grieve,” Roseleen Batalia stated.

However, Batalia’s mother, Sarbjit Batalia spoke at a forum on teens and dating abuse, and sat down with Global BC for an interview. Sarbjet revealed that the Batalia family and Dhaliwal’s
family were very close. Sarbjit said in her interview, “I’m very close to his mom and dad. She is my best friend. I think she has more pain than me.” Sarbjit also expressed that she has nothing but respect for the Dhaliwal family, and she even loved Gary himself like a son. Eventually Batalia and Dhaliwal started dating, and at some point Batalia ended the relationship.

Both Dhaliwal and Bedi are now in custody, and made their first court appearance at the Surrey provincial court on Dec. 3, with a second hearing on Dec. 17. As this case is now before the courts, very little information — especially pertaining to evidence — is being released to the public.

At the Dec. 3 hearing, a no-contact order was placed on both men ordering them to not contact each other or the Batalia family. Outside of the courtroom. Dhaliwal’s lawyer stated that his client will plead not guilty to the first-degree murder charge.

Chief Superintendent Bill Fordy, Officer in Charge of Surrey RCMP, made a statement during the IHIT press conference, saying, “While there is still much work to be done, I am confident that justice will prevail and those responsible will be held accountable for their actions.”

When asked by The Peak what measures are being taken to ensure the safety of SFU students during late hours, Marie Schneider, Facilities Services manager in charge of the Surrey Campus security team, responded: “Security staff are on duty 24/7 to assist students.” Schneider discussed the support of the campus security staff by the Central City office tower and mall security officers, who conduct both interior and exterior patrols around campus.

Schneider stated that help phones are also being installed in over 20 locations around the Surrey
campus. She explained, “The phone stations will be brightly coloured and prominently positioned and marked with signs. Anyone needing security support… can pick up the phone for an immediate connection to the security monitoring centre.” As well, students are able to partake in the Safe Walk program, where a guard escorts students to the parkade, bus loop, and Skytrain areas.

Superintendent Kevin Hackett, Officer in Charge of IHIT, addressed the concerns of the homicide’s occurrence at the SFU Surrey campus by stating that this incident has impacted “our community’s overall sense of security and safety.” Fordy helped ease these concerns, reassuring that the RCMP and IHIT are “commit to ensuring that justice and the rule of law prevails — that our citizens are safe, and that all of us are safe and secure.”