The art of community

0
403

The Eastside Culture Crawl invites community to observe artists in natural habitat.

By Alison Brierley
Photos by Straight Line Designs

The Eastside Culture Crawl offers something for everybody. Running from Nov. 16–18,  the affectionately nicknamed “Crawl” first opened its doors in 1997. The original purpose of the three-day art show was to promote a few local artists and their work near the upcoming holiday season; now, however, the Crawl has grown to display the work of over 300 artists to an audience of more than 15,000 people in 75 buildings. Attendees of the Crawl are able to explore the work of artists between various venues in East Vancouver free of charge. The most enticing aspect of the Crawl is the opportunity to walk into the artist’s lives.

Judson Beaumont, a furniture designer, owner of Straight Line Designs, and participating artist of the Crawl says: “It’s almost like going inside their head. You get to see how an artist lives.” This is the defining feature of the Crawl. Visitors are exposed not only to art, but toartists and how they work. “It’s like an open house,” Beaumont explains. “I want people to see the process of art, the unfinished, the starting, the sketches ,and the drawings.”

[pullquote]“It’s almost like going inside their head. You get to see how an artist lives.”[/pullquote]

This unique experience stems from the community of artists that exists within the showcased buildings, such as 1000 Parker Street, one of the original Culture Crawl buildings and the location of Beaumont’s studio, comes from humble beginnings. Beaumont reminisces about first moving into the building, “There were no windows, no heat, no light, but within six months it was full of artists and all of a sudden we had this community.”

The Crawl prospers within this sense of community and offers an outlet for young artists to showcase their work. “It’s a great venue for up-and-coming artists,” Beaumont says. It teaches them how to get exposure, how to get experience and how to get their name out there. Ultimately, the Crawl can “break them or make them.” Furthermore, it offers a source of inspiration for other new artists hoping to pursue a career in the arts. “I’m passionate about what I do; I want to share my experiences, I want to talk to young artists,” Beaumont says. By recognizing the importance of art within a community, he has also become involved in neighbouring high schools, colleges and universities, and often appears as a guest speaker. This passion is reflected in the Culture Crawl and its ability to enthuse and inspire visitors, whether they may be artists themselves or not. “Even if you don’t like art . . . give it a shot,” Beaumont encourages. For first time Crawlers, the show will expose a flourishing creative niche in the Vancouver community.

“There are some really amazing creative people that are coming out of this city,” Beaumont says. “I think Vancouver has a lot to offer.” The Crawl offers an opportunity to explore this, while exposing people to a history of Vancouver artistry that started 15 years ago and still thrives today. The Crawl continues to grow every year, and its expanse over numerous sites can often be overwhelming. Beaumont advises: “Do your research and pick out what you want to see, and then go.” The variety of art showcased during the Culture Crawl includes everything from paintings, sculpture and photography, to woodworking, drawing and textiles. “I’m still amazed when I talk to people and what they remember me from is the Culture Crawl,” Beaumont says.