University Briefs

0
428

By Alison Roach

Wilfred Laurier team suspended for hazing

The entire men’s baseball team at Wilfred Laurier University was suspended after it was discovered that they participated in hazing, specifically an incident involving alcohol. The suspension lasted for four games, forcing the team to forfeit two games against the Western Mustangs and two against the Waterloo Warriors. The members of the team were required to make a presentation for athletic director Peter Baxter, interuniversity sport coordinator Wally Gabler, and vice president of Student Affairs David McMurray. It was decided that the team will be allowed to play out the rest of the season.

University of Saskatchewan students protest deportation

Two Nigerian students who attend the University of Regina are facing deportation after violating the terms of their study permits by working off-campus jobs. Victoria Ordu and Ihuoma Amadi both accepted jobs at a Regina Wal-Mart, unaware of the restriction. Both were later arrested by agents of the Canadian Border Services Agency. The women have taken sanctuary in a church in Regina where they have been avoiding a deportation order. U of S group “Students in Solidarity” have started a Facebook group and a petition to keep the two women in the country, with over 200 signatures collected so far.

Quebecís planned tuition hikes abolished

Recently elected Premier of Quebec Pauline Marois has decided to put a stop to the planned tuition hikes that sparked the seven-month-long student strike in the province this past academic year. This move marks the end of the tense coalition between student federations FECQ and FEUQ and the association CLASSE, who have collaborated despite historic tensions. Marois decided to abolish both the tuition hike and the controversial Law 12, an act aimed to put students back in the classroom. This marks Marois following through on a campaign promise she made for the September election.