Environmental Economist one of Canada’s Clean50

0
425

Mark Jaccard receives award for his work in sustainability

By Graham Cook

When it comes to environmental sustainability, SFU is still represented by members of its community such as Mark Jaccard, a professor for environmental economics who is being recognized for his dedication to sustainable development and clean capitalism in 2013’s Clean50 list.

Delta Management, a boutique search firm with a vested interest in sustainability, selected Jaccard, along with 49 other leaders from a number of fields. The Clean50 are carefully selected from over 500 candidates spanning over multiple disciplines.

“I appreciate being recognized for my efforts to combine training of the next generation of experts with my climate policy advisory work for governments and my public engagement,” Jaccard told SFU media.

Jaccard is no stranger to accolades. In 2007 he was given the President’s Award at SFU for media. In 2008, the Confederation of University Faculty Associations named him B.C.’s academic of the year. He has also received awards for his various writings, has served on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that collectively received a Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, and been awarded The Nora and Ted Sterling Award to honour work that has provoked or contributed to the discussion of controversy. Jaccard’s accomplishments were also recognized by Corporate Knights, which named him a category leader in their supplementary Clean16 segment.

Jaccard’s profile on the Clean50 webpage elaborates on some of the work that contributed to his nomination. “For 25 years, Mark has combined his international experiences in energy and environment analysis and policy with his training of graduate students. Most recently, he served as convening lead author for the sustainable energy policy in the Global Energy Assessment, which was released at the Rio Earth Summit in 2012 after five years of international collaboration among the world’s leading energy researchers.”

Jaccard will accept his award at the 2013 Clean50 Summit in Toronto