Clan light up Red Storm

0
394

SFU improves 2–3 with first conference win.

By Bryan Scott
Photos by Adam Ovenell-Carter

The Simon Fraser University football team played the Dixie State Red Storm in an important conference game on Terry Fox Field last week. Before this game the Clan were 0–3 in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, tied with Azusa Pacific for last place.

It seemed like a different Clan team showed up to play in this game. Especially running back Bo Palmer, who was an unstoppable force in this game. He had 145 yards rushing, 23 yards receiving with four rushing touchdowns. Yes, four touchdowns. “We wanted to come out with intensity,” said Palmer, and that they did. The Clan scored the first two touchdowns of the game, which gave them the upper hand early on. The game stayed fairly close in the first half, which ended with the Clan up 20–14. Clan receiver Lamar Durant was solid, catching nine passes for 116 yards and a touchdown early in the third quarter. Five minutes later, Palmer had a 54 yard rush which led to his third marker of the game. The Clan would ride out the Red Storm and take the game 41–28.

Trey Wheeler responded well to last week’s unfortunate late game interception. He was 26–40 with 312 yards and two passing touchdowns. More importantly, he did not throw a single interception in this game, which is promising moving forward for the Clan.

With this win, the Clan move up to 2–3 on the season and 1–3 in conference play. The Clan looked to improve to even on season on Saturday, when they battled the last place Azusa Pacific Cougars on Terry Fox Field.