Letters to the editor, Sept. 24

0
383

Get engaged, SFU

Photo by Adam Ovenell-Carter

Dear editor,

I am writing to you because I feel that the majority of undergraduate students aren’t aware of the opportunity before them to reshape SFU. The $65 million Build SFU project relies on the their involvement in student consultation to make the building a success. Consultation is built into every aspect of the development documents, so we need help. We need students to tell us what they think the future of SFU should be: what should it look like, feel like, sound like, and how we can make SFU better.

The SFSS and SFU administration have developed a joint steering committee to oversee this project at a high level. This committee will consist of SFSS directors and staff, as well as university administrators. Again, the key to the success of this project and committee is that your elected directors have the information they need from students to make decisions.

The flow of information should be from the ground up. Therefore, the SFSS is also developing an all-student committee to advise the project. This committee will be a diverse set of students who will plan the project. This is hands-on experience in project planning that no class can offer.

If students would rather comment from a distance, a consultation plan has been drafted, and needs feedback from them to make sure that it reaches as many people as possible. We are literally going to have consultations about how to consult. If students don’t make their expectations clear, we can’t create a university that fits their unique needs.

Many students are excited about this project, and the opportunities arising from it are already apparent in its infancy. The SFSS is hiring project workers to assist in the day-to-day work of Build SFU, and we have received over 50 applications in two weeks. Let’s carry that momentum into the development phase.

Once the committee and employees are in place, we will start reconstructing the Think Tank, ensuring that it is an open and inviting space for students. This space will have the same goals as the student union building: creating community and engaging students to make a difference. There will be town halls and brainstorms, as well as stakeholder meetings and years of discussion and development. Again, student involvement is the key piece in making this project a success.

Of your undergraduate readers, I ask: are you interested in sustainability? Come help us make this project as sustainable as possible. Are you interested in finance? Come help us structure tthe financing, solicit donations, and develop cost recovery strategies. Geography major? Help us design a space that fosters interaction and community. Are you a Clan fan or a campus band? What potential does a stadium create for you, and what should it look like? Every single undergraduate student at SFU is studying a field that is directly relevant to some part of Build SFU.

I encourage students to visit sfss.ca to learn more about the Build SFU project and find ways to get involved. Students, it is your money and your SFU. We need your input and help for you to get the most out of this.

Sincerely,

Jeff McCann

URO, SFSS