Measures should be taken to ensure more SFSS board members can attend meetings

1
393

By Benedict Reiners

Last week, SFSS at-large representative Karanvir Thiara sought standing regrets to be approved by the board for his upcoming absences from meetings. What’s more, he’s the third board member to do so, following health sciences representative Tracy Luong and university relations officer (URO) Jeff McCann, both of whom issued said regrets as a result of scheduling conflicts with their summer co-op terms. Each member will still be able to attend to their other duties and are expected to return to meetings in the fall semester. For some, this has proven little consolation, since students not only elected these officials, but also pay their salaries as part of their SFSS fees.

SFSS Treasurer Kevin Zhang is one such student. When McCann requested his standing regrets, Zhang cited that McCann’s role as part of the executive gives his attendance at meetings extra importance. Given that three elected members cannot attend meetings, it might be time for the SFSS to introduce measures to bind members to attend.

However, this brings forward a dilemma for the SFSS: someone who was even thinking of taking a co-op course during one of the semesters over which they would serve likely would not run. This would decrease the potential field of applicants, a field already small enough that it saw some members elected without contention. That may end up scaring off those actually most suited for any of the positions up for election.

The SFSS board members are here to learn, just like all other students here at SFU, and we cannot expect them to delay getting their degrees or to pass up important opportunities for their job. That’s why the SFSS should introduce measures to ensure that SFSS board members are able to attend to their full roll in at least two out of three semesters. This way, it is less likely to scare off the best person for the job, or to produce an official with no time for their position. It would also serve as something of a symbol, showing students the members’ commitment to serving the student community.

Additional measures might be needed to ensure that the program was not abused if implemented, and as such, it would be a good idea to add a clause that the member be able to prove sufficient reasoning for their absence, and perhaps also that such a rule only apply to the summer semester, before which students running for board positions might not know whether or not they have a position. Furthermore, this would ensure that, although members may be away for the board’s formative period, they would still be able to get their job done as well as possible, and continue to positively represent students.

Ideally, students would be able to make their availability  known during the election for at least the summer semester, but as it stands that’s not typically feasible. However, anyone running for office should honour the commitment made in doing so. Although it’s important to make sure that the SFSS is comprised of the best members possible, those running for office must remember that if they really want students to take the SFSS seriously as an organization, the first step is figuring out how to get everyone to show up.