SFU hosts open house

0
404

By Graham Cook

Over 100 exhibits showcase what SFU has to offer to prospective students

SFU’s three campuses were showcased last Saturday at Burnaby’s 2012 open house. The event saw the hill split into eight zones, each of which featured a variety of displays and activities. All faculties and departments participated to create over 100 interactive exhibits.

Convocation mall was transformed into the “red zone,” which was designed to have a carnival feel that included bed-making races, a candy booth, cotton candy, and a duck pond. One of the main events in this zone was “SFU’s Got Talent” which saw students, faculty, and staff performing music and dance. Sharing the stage with the talent show were Korean drummers. Entertainment was provided elsewhere on campus as well, with such acts as the Gastown Strutters Dixieland Band in the North AQ concourse, African drums in the Saywell Atrium, and stilt bikes in the East AQ concourse.

The festivities also included academic fun. The SFU Department of Chemistry hosted The Magic of Chemistry in the South AQ. The sciences also put on a display of “The Fabulous Feats of Physics.” In addition, the Physics Department created a scale model of the solar system that allowed participants to explore and learn.

Attendees were invited to learn about forensic science by the school of Criminology. The display outlined crime scene analysis techniques and allowed participants to dip maggots into paint to create art. Meanwhile, in the North AQ concourse, Interactive Arts and Technology showcased some of their students’ creations, which included adjustable high heels and computer games.

Prior to the event, SFU spokesperson Fiona Burrows discussed the open house with The Peak. She explained that it was intended to be the largest instance of community engagement in SFU history. While the exact attendance numbers were not known at the time of printing, the 2008 open house attracted between 12 and 14,000 people.

Burrows went on to describe the motivation behind holding the event as having its roots in recruitment. Before the 11 a.m. start time, an invite only Education Fair took place for prospective students. Each faculty set up displays of their various programs to give a sample of what an education in that field would include. Information on academic advising and orientation was provided as well.

Also held over the weekend was “The Residence Experience.” For $55, students and their parents were able to spend Friday night in The Towers, which typically house first-year students in the Fall and Spring semesters. Originally, further events were to be held in residence on Saturday, but were cancelled due to lack of interest.