Celebration of past shines light on future

0
470

By Adam Ovenell-Carter

“I think the future is unlimited,” said SFU athletics director Milton Richards on SFU athletics’ outlook. “When you look throughout SFU’s history, at all the people here, I think it proves that.”

By ‘here’, Richards is referring to the SFU Athletics Hall of Fame induction ceremony that took place last Wednesday at the Diamond Alumni Centre. And the people he was referring to, well, where to begin.

SFU’s athletics Hall of Fame is already full of big names, such as football’s Lui Passaglia and basketball’s Jay Triano. And for the first time in almost two decades, more were finally, and deservedly, added to the ranks.

The 2012 inductee class consisted of nine athletes, three coaches, and two teams, highlighted by the likes of Daniel Igali, Brit Townsend and Doug Brown. As much as the ceremony was to honour each individual (or team) accomplishment, it was just as much an opportunity to reflect and appreciate the unheralded tradition and history of SFU athletics.

Each inductee was called to stage by Giulio Caravatta — a former Clansmen and CFL quarterback who is now the colour commentator for the B.C. Lions — received a plaque, and moved on, and while that was naturally the main event, it seemed more like a formality. The heart of the ceremony came before and after, as new and old members of the Hall of Fame and SFU athletics shared laughs, stories, and even dessert. This was not about each person as they crossed the stage individually, it was about them all together on the other side.

“That’s always been the thing about SFU, its incredible sense of community,” said Doug Brown, the massive six-foot-eight Winnipeg Blue Bomber. “That alone helped me prepare for my professional career, knowing it was never just about me.

“The program as a whole helped me. I knew I could get a top education here that would benefit me whether I made it big or not, and still play against top competition. Now I’m always drawn in. Every time I come out here, whether it’s to play against the Lions or see my family, I take one day to come back up here. They’ve been unbelievable keeping me involved, and now I’ve been able to give back by lending some of my experiences.

“That’s one of the things about being a member of Clan athletics — it’s that you’re always a member. When you look at the other names on this list [of inductees], it’s just humbling to be nominated and included in such a prestigious group,” conceded Brown.

But it’s exactly that tradition of humility and prestige that Richards is trying to foster, and he believes events such as this one will be a great start. In fact, bringing back the Hall of Fame was one of the first things he wanted to change when he was brought on as the athletics director just a few months ago.

“One of the first meetings I had here was with [SFU’s first athletic director and former Hall of Fame inductee] Lorne Davies, and we right away set out to bring this back. Any
opportunity I had, especially as the new guy on board, to embrace the tradition of SFU athletics is an even better opportunity for the program. I don’t think we celebrate our success enough, and
this shows just how great it is, and has been.”

If nothing else, such a celebration shows just how formidable SFU athletics can be. And if the past is any indicator of what could come, then the future could very well be unlimited.