Around the school

0
392

By Adam Ovenell-Carter

The sports never stop at SFU. You’re busy, and it’s hard to keep up with all that’s going on. In that regard, here’s a quick update on everything else that happened in the world of Clan athletics this past week.

Wrestling

The Clan wrestlers continued their strong season, performing well at the Canadian Wrestling
National Championships in Ontario. Their strong showing
was the clear continuation of what’s been a strong program for a long time — the Clan’s success at the event was only surpassed by that of a couple of SFU alumni.

Justina Distasio led the way for the women’s side, competing in both junior and senior events, in the 72-kilogram weight class. She won gold in the junior competition, and bronze in the senior. The rest of the junior competitors performed strongly as well, as Ashley Topnik and Darby Huckle both won gold medals in the 59-kilogram and 44-kilogram classes, respectively.

The senior 48-kilogram bout was a clash between two SFU alumni in Ashley KcKilligan and Carol Huynh. Unsurprisingly, it was the Olympic gold-medalist Huynh who won that bout, while two more SFU alumni, Danielle Lappage and Stacie Anaka, also medalled.

On the men’s side, sophomore Jessy Sahota was the only Clan athlete to earn a medal. He took home a silver medal in the 120-kilogram class, but was defeated by fellow SFU student Sunny Dhinsa — an independent wrestler who more than once has taken out his schoolmates.

It’s becoming commonplace for the Clan to bring home
a handful of medals, but it speaks even louder volumes about the program when a number of SFU alumni are leading the way in the senior divisions.

Golf

Three members of the men’s golf team finished in the top-10 at the Cavalier Classic in Washington, earning the team a third-place finish. Meanwhile, the women’s side finished an equally impressive fourth.

Michael Belle was the most consistent golfer for the men, and his three-round score of 224 (eight over par) earned him a tie for seventh place. Not far behind was John Milikotic, who shot a final round of 73 (just one over par), and moved himself into a tie for ninth overall with a total score of 226. Just two strokes behind Milikotic was Calum Miller, who rounded out the top-10. No one from the women’s side was able to crack the top-10 however, though Nicole Jordan led the way with an 11th-place finish.

It was one of the Clan’s best outings of the year, and
one they’ll no doubt hope to improve on moving forward.