University Briefs

0
445

Yale students discover plastic-eating organism

A group of students on an annual rainforest exhibition with Yale University, were able to cultivate a fungus capable of digesting polyurethane in low oxygen environments. The findings, published late last year in the Journal of Microbiology, could have significant impacts on plastic landfill waste which scientists believe degrades over hundreds of years in such a low oxygen environment.

Alberta student arrested for pointing gun in residence

A student at Medicine Hat College has been arrested by police and permanently banned from the campus after pointing a gun at other students last Saturday. Witnesses say that the 25-year-old male pointed the gun at other residents after an argument escalated at the student residence buildings.  He is now facing weapons and other related charges.

UWindsor targeted by anti-Israeli graffiti

A number of globes at the University of Windsor campus library were removed after students complained of anti-Israeli graffiti on them. The primarily-Jewish nation of Israel had been scratched out of globes for at least three years, despite student complaints.

UBC clubs targeted by theft over winter break

Hundreds of dollars and a small laptop were stolen from three student clubs over winter break at the University of British Columbia’s Student Union Building. Changes to security measures in the area have been implemented since the incident which did not damage any door locks or windows.

UBC announces new gender studies institute

In celebrating its 20th anniversary, the University of British Columbia’s Centre for Women’s and Gender Studies announced the creation of the new institute for gender, race, sexuality and social justice in conjunction with its undergraduate women’s and gender studies program. The merger of the two programs will be complete in April and will aim to study gender issues in differing professions such as health care.

Ariane Madden