Under-manned Clan fighting hard

0
447

By Adam Ovenell-Carter

The SFU men’s basketball team is something to behold. Look past their 3–12 record and you see seven young men just desperate to win. And while those victories aren’t coming the way that one might hope, you can’t challenge the Clan’s work ethic.

Those seven players — many of whom did not expect to see the court nearly as much as they have — enter every game as an underdog because of the simple fact that they just don’t have the manpower to stay fresh and in games. Every victory is quite a feat at this point.

And though it might not seem like much, a 2–3 record over the team’s last five contests speaks volumes about the Clan’s effort.

An 88–85 buzzer-beating win in Washington against St. Martin’s University was well-deserved after three straight losses. After being blown out by Western Oregon on the road, the Clan kicked off reading week with a hard-fought 79–71 victory over Alaska Fairbanks — a team the Clan have now beaten twice this year. Unfortunately, the Clan would go on to drop their next two contests (one at home and one on the road), but have very much been in both.

Most recently, against Central Washington, the team almost took a lead into half-time, but gave up a few late points that the Wildcats eventually turned into a victory. Nevertheless, the Clan’s play of late should not be dismissed simply because of their record. You’ll likely not see a team suffer the same kind of setbacks the Clan have unpredictably faced this season. And if you do, they likely won’t be competing quite as hard as this group
of seven.