SFU soccer star earned MLS trial

0
483

By Erika Zell

Is there life after university sports? It depends on who you ask, says SFU men’s soccer midfielder Josh Bennett. The transition between university life and a professional career is challenging no matter what field you get in to, but varsity athletes just might have it tougher than most.

Bennett recently returned from a two-week MLS trial with the San Jose Earthquakes. While he may not have gotten an offer, he insisted that the experience was anything but a waste.

“I was there for two weeks of training with the first team,” he said. “Unfortunately the coaches sent me home at the end because they think I need a bit more work.”

Bennett believed the training was similar to what he’s experienced under head coach Alan Koch here at Simon Fraser, but noticed a definite difference in the speed and quality of his competitors.

“It was the best training I’ve ever received. I play against quality players here [at SFU], but I learned so much [in San Jose]. The pace was so much faster. You always had to be mentally focused and know what the do with the ball before you even got it.” He continued, “it was a good experience. Now I know what it takes to make it at the next level and what is required of a player coming out of university.

“We trained twice a day; the morning sessions were more technical work, like ball handling or drills, and the afternoon sessions would be strength and conditioning exercises, or weights or stretching. The second week was more five-on-five games, with a couple 11-on-11 matches. I think the second week was where they brought in more draft picks and overall it was way more intense.”

Depending on skill and grit, would-be soccer players have several options when taking their first steps into the pros, and Bennett’s invitation to try out with the Earthquakes was already an opportunity that few new grads get. Many players try and start their careers in the North American Soccer League (NASL), said Bennett, which has a good reputation for being a breeding ground for future MLS-calibre athletes. “I’m looking into my options with various teams there. The players always move from NASL to MLS, and the standard is higher than just university leagues. It’s a good place to start, for sure.”

Another attractive option for young players is Europe. “Playing in Europe is different culture,” said Bennett, “soccer is life for so many people. Their system and the way they develop players is taken way more seriously there than here.” Bennett says that the European leagues’ investment in their young players is a big incentive when grads are considering heading oversees. “For my development as a player, Europe would probably be a good option.”

Even though he’s completing his SFU degree in education and sociology and has considered going into teaching, Bennett is looking forward to making a go of a career in soccer first. “I definitely think coming out of university you should strike while the iron is hot. It depends on the individual, but your career potential diminishes as you get older. You need to get a start on things right away. You have time to do other things later, and if you [got a degree], you can keep a lot of doors open that way.”

In the end, Bennett chalks his first pro try-out as great experience. “I was released, and it was an eye-opener,” he admitted. “Some players think they’re better than they are, and I don’t think I’m cocky, especially after a couple of weeks with pros. I know I need to work harder. There are weaknesses I need to address. I’m definitely not giving up because I didn’t get the first team.”