Suspect vehicle identified in murder of SFU student

0
595

By Sahira Memon

No arrests to date in Maple Batalia’s murder

A 12-second surveillance clip released by the police has brought to light new information regarding last year’s murder of SFU student Maple Batalia. In the footage, a white late-model Dodge Charger was recorded leaving the scene shortly after the incident occurred.

The vehicle has been seized and the police have already spoken to the person the car was registered under, but no arrests have been made.

Also, thanks to video surveillance before the event took place, two men are being sought for questioning by the police. These men were seen entering the SFU Surrey campus at 12:00 a.m., an hour before Batalia was killed.

There have been no arrests made in the case. Sgt Jennifer Pound of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team told CBC news, “These persons are not suspects in this crime, but may have information from before, during, or after the crime that could possibly assist IHIT investigators.”

Batalia, an aspiring model and actress and SFU health sciences student, was studying at the Surrey campus with friends when she was shot at 1:00 a.m. on September 28, in the SFU Surrey parking lot. She died later in hospital. A funeral service and memorial were held in her name.

“Maple Batalia was a young woman who was never given the chance to live a full life. Nobody has the right to take anyone’s life away. We know there are people who may have information about her murder and we ask that you think of Maple and her family and the loss they are, and will forever, be facing,” says Pound.

Pound and the IHIT urge anyone with information regarding this case to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. All tips will be anonymous.