PSSU surveys political science undergrads

0
658

By Michael Brophy

Results show general satisfaction, but frustration with course availability

The SFU Political Science Student Union (PSSU) has been working towards a survey initiative that would improve the representation of their student body.

As many students do not attend PSSU meetings, the society undertook an independent survey to gauge where representation is required. While the survey results will not necessarily change the department, gaining the input of the student body is an important step towards possible future changes, said Andrew Keech, the PSSU’s communications representative. “The survey is not intended to produce . . . anything more than an illustrative sample of the overall satisfaction of our peers with the program as they’ve experienced it.” Information collected by the union from the student population creates constructive data, which can then be used to advocate change in the faculty.

The survey also is hoped to increase the reputation of the union among the student body. “Legitimacy of the union’s representation has apparently been an issue in the past, so conducting [a] broad survey of opinion solves a lot of those problems for us and raises the profile of the organization in the department’s student body,” Keech stated.

Hindrances and interruptions were commonplace in getting the survey project off the ground. In its early stages, work required to put the initiative in motion had been done sporadically. Previous PSSU executives contributed to the project, but for various reasons there was successive turnover of responsibilities. Now finally nearing completion, the preliminary results are varied, said Keech. Most students are happy with their experience as a political science student, but the survey also showed that many students had difficulty in fulfilling the writing requirement due to a lack of course availability. As well, most students felt as though the political science courses were either “centre” or “left” on the political spectrum. About 50 percent of participants expressed an interest in going on to a master’s program, while the other half were only interested in getting a bachelor’s degree.

The bulk of the data was gathered in-class. Keech estimates that over 750 responses have entered the survey tally with more still in process. Those eligible to participate in the survey consist of students enrolled in political science undergraduate programs, including all honours, major, and minor students. Efforts have been made to collect data from distance-ed students within the political science department, so far unsuccessfully.

When asked whether the Society of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS) would be creating a similar survey for other student departments, Estefania Duran, current PSSU president and SASS VP of communications, suggested that the “DSU’s [departmental student unions] get involved rather than SASS alone, especially because SASS represents 28 programs and departments so it might be more complicated.” She offered that “[The PSSU] did think however that it might be a good idea to help any DSU interested in doing something similar.”